Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Lessons on Jamu

Went to a plantation the other day to learn about Jamu. Jamu is an herbal drink that most Indonesians take at least twice a day. A Jamu expert will listen to you and find out what your ailments are or what you want to improve. Then they will crush leaves, roots or nuts that have specific qualities that will help your problem and boil it in hot water. Brown sugar is usually added to make it taste better. The Jamu expert will carry her wares around on her back in a tall basket, wondering through neighborhoods in the early morning. People will stop her on their way to work and pay rp 1,000 (or 10 cents) for their morning dose and then again in the evening. We learned what can cure diabetes, rashes, acne, high blood pressure, etc. Of course the most popular drink for the men was the one that "helped with exercises in the bedroom" as our guide so delicately put it. I bought some for rashes, as I am the queen of exzema. Other women in my group bought the "thinning jamu" it is supposed to help you lose weight. I told them to let me know if it works, then I will go back and buy a case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home